Cheesy Fried chicken sliders with chipotle mayo
This dish is great for a Friday night with friends. It’s fun, its indulgent and its social. Treat yourself this Friday night and give this delicious burger a try. You won’t be disappointed! Enjoy and thank me later!
- 4 brioche mini burger or hot dog buns
- 4 large gherkins, sliced in half length ways
- 4 iceberg lettuce leaves
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
For the fried chicken
- 4 chicken thighs, skin removed
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ cup self-raising flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons tabasco sauce
- Vegetable oil for deep drying
For the chipotle mayo- makes about 340g (1 1/3 cups)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pinch of salt
- 250ml (1 cup) oil (blend of 80ml olive oil and 170ml vegetable oil works well)
- 2-3 chipotle chillies in adobo sauce
1. Fill a large saucepan one-third full with vegetable oil and place it over medium heat for the oil to heat up.
2. In a large bowl, lightly whisk the eggs with 2 tablespoons water and tabasco sauce.
3. Pat the chicken dry and place into a plastic bag with the onion and garlic powders. Shake well then remove the chicken and place them into the egg mixture. Coat them well with the egg and then put them in a bag with the flour. Shake well again.
4. Check that the oil is at the right temperature by dipping a wooden spoon handle in the oil. If the oil bubbles around the handle, it’s hot enough. Slowly lower the chicken pieces into the oil and cook for 5-6 minutes, flipping over every 2 minutes. Remove and place directly onto paper towel to absorb any excess oil. Place cheese slices on top of each piece of fried chicken to melt. Season immediately with salt.
1. In a small food processor, add chipotle chillies and blitz to a fine paste. Remove and set aside. Give the processor a quick wipe out.
2. In the same processor, pulse the egg, mustard, lemon juice and salt until well combined. With the processor running, add the oil gradually in a slow steady stream, until the mayonnaise is the desired consistency. Check for seasoning. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
3. To assemble the burger, cut the brioche roll in half. Lightly toast, cut side down under a grill or on a dry frying pan. Add cheesy fried chicken, gherkin, lettuce and top with chipotle mayo. Now get into it while it’s hot because they won’t last long!